If you are planning a trip to Cambridge or if you are a local of the city and intend to go punting on the river Cam, then, despite first appearances there are a number of alternatives to Scudamores Punting Company.
Some of the more reputable and long running organisations are listed below.
In alphabetical order:
- Cambridge Chauffeur Punts – Silver Street Bridge. Despite the name this company also provide self hire punts at a rate of around £16 per hour during the week and £20 per hour at weekends.
- Cambridge River Tours – La Mimosa punt station, nr. Quayside, Bridge Street. Independent operation providing guided punt tours of the Cambridge colleges
- Granta Punt and Canoe hire – Newnham Road (by The Granta pub). Self hire punts at a rate of around £20 per hour and guided punt tours
- Scholars Punting Cambridge – La Mimosa punt station, nr. Quayside, Bridge Street. Independent punt company offering chauffeured tours along the Backs.
- Trinity Punts, Garret Hostel Lane (off Trinity Street) – access via Trinity college. College owned punts are available for hire at a rate of around £16 per hour for self hire. Guided tours also provided under the umbrella of GHL punting.
Please see the map on our geography page for details on the specific locations of all of the above.